In collaboration with Sparks & Wiry Cries, Source presents songSLAM: a unique opportunity for emerging classical music composer/performer teams to premiere new art songs and compete for cash prizes.
Teams will present a new song of no more than 5 minutes for voice and piano in any language for the voting audience, who—in the poetry slam tradition—will then vote on their favorites and award $1,000 in prize money.
Teams are encouraged to bring their friends, as all prizes will be awarded by audience vote!
- Registration is $10 and participants are chosen on a first-come, first-served basis. Even if you do not enter in time to compete, your small $10 registration fee supports our hard working staff, and is an essential part of how a non-profit works! We are grateful to you for being a part of the song, and your team will be credited in a thank you on our about page.
- For each city, performance slots will be given to the first 10 applicants to apply; there will also be 5 alternate slots in the event of cancellations.
- Original compositions presented during the 2017-2018 season songSLAMs must:
- be composed for voice and piano
- feature texts that are in the public domain or have written and signed permission from the author/trust
- receive their world premiere at our event.
- Songs should be no more than 5 minutes in length.
- A composer can only submit ONE song for the event. Performers can only perform in ONE song for the event.
- Texts may be in any language.
- There is no age limit for those who wish to apply.
- Composer must be present during the premiere event.
- Scores for songSLAM must be completed and submitted by the due date posted for each event city.